Saturday, April 23, 2011

Update...

Dear Hope,
On Friday Brian and I had an appointment with my Dr to go over the past cycle, updates and what we can expect to happen next.  The 1st thing I asked was the results of the PGD genetic testing of our 2 embryos.  Unfortunately the results were not in yet and we probably won’t know for another week (don’t worry I will update as soon as I know).  But she did give us some insight on the quality and grading system prior to freezing of the embryos.  I will try to explain as best I can as it is kinda confusing. 
As I explained before the 1st grade an embryo receives in on Day 3 (post fertilization) – the lab looks at the number of cells and how well it is growing (normal is 8cells and best grade is a 1).  Then the lab will grade the embryo again when it reaches the blastocyst stage.  The 1st thing is a number grade and that is how well the fluid cavity within the embryo is expanding, the best grade is a 6 (kinda confusing because it’s the opposite from the Day 3 grade but stay with me…).  Then there are 2 letter grades, the 1st letter represents the grade of the cells within the embryo that actually make up the baby and the 2nd letter is the grade of cells that make up the part which will become the placenta. (The best is to have an AA although my dr said that a A’s & B’s are very good and only concerned if it’s a C or D) Ok still with me….  Now all this is great but even with a perfect “grade” there still could be something wrong with the embryo or the genetic testing could come back abnormal, but it’s still a good evaluation.  So what does this all mean for us…. Our embryo that was frozen in December had a Grade of 6AA!!!!  The best it could be and as I have shared before, it was tested and is chromosomally normal.  As for the most recent 2 embryos, they were given a Grade of 6BB and 5BB.  So not perfect but still a very good score. 
We left the appointment still feeling very nervous and anxious to hear the results of the genetic test but feeling very optimistic and hopeful that at least one will be normal. 
If at least one of the two is normal then we will proceed with the process of doing a frozen embryo transfer.  This actually will take a few months before it can happen as I will once again need to start some medications and injections to prepare my body for the transfer.  As much as I wish this was a right now type of thing I understand and want to make sure that I make the best “home” possible for my little "Embies" or as Brian would say the “Bros”. 
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment