Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 3... Check up on our Embryos

Dear Hope,
Today was our 1st status update with our embryos.  The good news is that ALL 7 embryos are still viable and growing.  The ok news is that they are just “average” quality.  I spoke with the dr and she seemed very cautious to lead me in any way, either positive or negative.  This being because of our history she is still concerned has no way of predicting what our final outcome will be. 
 We had 6 Embryos that were Grade 3 and 1 that was a Grade 2 (1 being best 5 being worst).  She also said that we had 2 with 6 cells, 2 with 7 cells, 1 with 8 cells and 2 with 10 cells.  When the embryology lab grades an embryo they look at several factors and one factor is that at Day 3 an embryo should be at 8 cells. 
Anything can happen between Day 3 and Day 5/6 and that is why I think the dr was very cautious in giving me the update.  In the past we have had embryos that look great at Day 3 and yet never make it the Blastocyst Stage (usually happened by day 5 or 6).  Our ultimate GOAL is for at least 1 embryo to get to the Blast stage so they can freeze it and prepare it for the PGD Genetic Test.
So…  Although I wish the news was that they were all perfect and they were guaranteed to make it to the blast stage, I know that it is unrealistic and I guess I am just happy that all 7 are still viable at this point.
Please keep the Prayers and Good thoughts coming… next update will be Saturday (Day 5). 
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment